Tuesday, February 09, 2010

A philosophical question...

inspired by the morning commute. Everyone in the northeast knows what this morning's drive to work was like- as we used to say when we were kids, H. R. Muck&stuff. 99% of the commuters were being careful and responsible, but in a city of a million people, 1% is a lot of troublemakers.

Driving my beloved to work, on the way up we- and almost everybody else- were doing about 30 in a 45, which was right at the limit of sanity... but zooming along in the left lane was a Lexus SUV, doing at least 50, spraying the rest of us with brown, salty slush. Now, I'm not a road-rage kind of guy, but I genuinely regretted that I was too busy driving and using the windshield washer to spare a hand flipping the bird. Then, on the way home, the same thing happened again, with the perpetrator being a Cadillac Escalade. But coming up to a stop light, the Escalade slid in the intersection and brushed another vehicle that was stopped in the intersection patiently waiting for his chance to turn left... this other vehicle was a snow plow, and the blade opened up the side of the Escalade the length of the vehicle.

Nobody was hurt; the airbags of the Escalade didn't even go off- the only result was many thousands of dollars of damage done to the Escalade. (no damage was done to the plow blade) I laughed like a maniac. But then I was ashamed of my laughter. Which made me wonder...

Is it schadenfreude if the other whose misfortune you're enjoying is a dick? I mean, after all, one could argue that what he suffered was not misfortune, but well-earned consequences. Is it OK to enjoy brutal karma, or is the enjoyment unworthy irrespective of the cause of his suffering?

A further thought is that this question is related to another one: is a snarky comment still snarky if it's true? I've never resolved that one, either.

2 comments:

John A Arkansawyer said...

I'm okay with some level of schadenfreude*. I try to draw the line at pain or physical injury. Sometimes it's hard, especially when dealing with someone who got hurt in the process of endangering others, like this fool. I say if you don't stop and rub it in, you're doing well.

Desmond Ravenstone said...

Mel Brooks once observed that we often perceive the difference between comedy and tragedy as whether or not the misery is ours or someone else's.

The fact that you experience schadenfreude means you're human. The fact that you worry about feeling it makes you a mensch.