Tuesday, July 17, 2007

An inconvenient toothfish

Al Gore- the poster boy for “Do as I say, not as I do”- is being criticized by the Humane Society for serving an endangered species at his daughter‘s wedding . “Gore and his guests at the weekend ceremony dined on Chilean sea bass - arguably one of the world's most threatened fish species. Also known as Patagonian toothfish, the species is under pressure from illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing activities in the Southern Ocean, jeopardising the sustainability of remaining stocks.”

Actually, it seems his environmental sin is a two-for: “For many years HSI has expressed concern over the huge numbers of seabirds that die each year on the hooks of illegally set demersal longlines, threatening the long-term viability of those populations.” Way to go Al- even the illegal tuna fishers who still kill dolphins are only killing one species- you’re working both sides of the net!

2 comments:

Robin Edgar said...

I could have sworn that President Bill Sinkford is the poster boy for "Do as I say, not as I do". . . Come to think of it perhaps that should read, "Do as I say, not as I don't. . ."

Blogger said...

Hilarious, Joel.