Monday, December 01, 2008

Variations on a meme

Things I've done are in bold. Meme stolen from Earthbound Spirit and The Chaliceblog . First, Earthbound Spirit's list:
Started my own blog
Slept under the stars
Played in a band
Visited Hawaii
Watched a meteor shower
Given more than I can afford to charity
Been to Disneyland/world
Climbed a mountain
Held a praying mantis
Sung a solo
Bungee jumped (Never, and that's only half the story)
Visited Paris
Watched lightning at sea
Taught myself an art from scratch
Adopted a child
Had food poisoning
Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
Grown my own vegetables (half credit, as it wasn't vegetables)
Seen the Mona Lisa in France
Slept on an overnight train
Had a pillow fight
Hitchhiked
Taken a sick day when not ill
Built a snow fort
Held a lamb
Gone skinny dipping
Run a marathon
Ridden in a gondola in Venice (Had the opportunity, but Ye Gods, the cost!)
Seen a total eclipse
Watched a sunrise or sunset
Hit a home run
Been on a cruise
Seen Niagara Falls in person
Visited the birthplace of my ancestors
Seen an Amish community
Taught myself a new language
Had enough money to be truly satisfied (although it would be more accurate to say there were periods when money was meaningless)
Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
Gone rock climbing (not involving pitons and ropes, but steep enough to make my beloved blanche)
Seen Michelangelo's David
Sung karaoke
Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
Visited Africa
Walked on a beach by moonlight
Been transported in an ambulance
Had my portrait painted
Gone deep sea fishing
Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (Half way up; reservations were needed for the rest of the way)
Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
Kissed in the rain
Played in the mud
Gone to a drive-in theater
Been in a movie
Visited the Great Wall of China
Started a business
Taken a martial arts class
Visited Russia
Served at a soup kitchen
Sold Girl Scout Cookies
Gone whale watching
Gotten flowers for no reason
Donated blood, platelets or plasma
Gone sky diving
Visited a Nazi concentration camp
Bounced a check
Flown in a helicopter
Saved a favorite childhood toy
Visited the Lincoln Memorial
Eaten caviar
Pieced a quilt
Stood in Times Square
Toured the Everglades
Been fired from a job
Seen the Changing of the Guard in London
Broken a bone
Been on a speeding motorcycle
Seen the Grand Canyon in person
Published a book (If magazines count)
Visited the Vatican (Been to Rome, but at Easter- couldn't face the Vatican crowds)Bought a brand new car
Walked in Jerusalem
Had my picture in the newspaper
Read the entire Bible
Visited the White House
Killed and prepared an animal for eating
Had chickenpox
Saved someone's life
Sat on a jury (as an alternate)
Met someone famous
Joined a book club
Lost a loved one
Had a baby (It was delicious) (Sorry- a little Pagan humor)
Seen the Alamo in person
Swam in the Great Salt Lake
Been involved in a law suit
Owned a cell phone
Been stung by a bee
Ridden an elephant (I agree with CC-I've had the chance many times, but have you ever seen an elephant ride where the elephant didn't look depressed and miserable?)

CC's additions:
Read all three volumes of the Lord of the Rings
Visited the Taj Mahal
Performed in a dance recita
lBeen on horseback while the horse jumped over something
Won an athletic competition (If you count rifle competition- it IS an Olympic sport)Gotten a straight-A report card
Prayed to Zeus (Do Hecate and Calliope count?)
Watched news coverage, rapt, to see what was going to happen
Gotten lost in a building more than 500 years old
Kissed somebody milliseconds before bells started to ring

My additions:
Made love in a moving vehicle
Created something you know you'll never better
Held a pet while they died
Walked the Promenade Des Anglaises in Nice


Patric Murfin's additions:
Graduated from college
Been in Prison
Written the Great American Novel (Hopefully in progress)
Ridden the rails
Seen that Alaska
Been booed and/or heckled
Been elected to public office (OK, it was only to Precinct Committeeman- but I got more votes than Ronald Reagan in my precinct!)


7 comments:

Earthbound Spirit said...

And I've done one each of things you & CC added: I've gotten a straight-A report card, and I've held a pet while he died. And since you reminded me - I've only been halfway up the Eiffel Tower as well. I'd forgotten about the reservations to go all the way up.

Robin Edgar said...

Started my own blog at the request (if not demand. . .) of UU World editor Chris Walton, slept under the stars but I am not telling which ones ;-), watched the Perseids meteor shower in Cornwall England the night following the August 11, 1999 total solar eclipse which was eclipsed by heavy cloud, given more than I can afford to a homeless person, climbed a mountain or two, taught myself an art from scratch, had food poisoning the week I was supposed to show my portfolio to National Geographic, slept on an overnight train from San Francisco to Montreal, who hasn't had a pillow fight?, hitchhiked with a Yorkshireman whose first question after I had informed him that I was Canadian was, "Do ye cuddle?" (apparently "cuddling" is our national sport), built several snow forts, held a lamb, gone skinny dipping, seen a total eclipse (sorta), watched and photographed a good number of sunrises and sunsets, seen Niagara Falls in person, visited some but not all of the birthplaces of my ancestors, bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant, walked on a beach by moonlight, been transported in an ambulance, had my portrait painted (do charicatures painted by talented artists count?), gone deep sea fishing and been violently seasick, gone to a drive-in theater, ever so briefly been in a Denys Arcand movie, started a business, served at a soup kitchen, gone whale watching but didn't see any whales, gotten flowers for no reason (isn't there always a reason though?), donated blood, bounced a check (not deliberately though), flown in a helicopter, saved a favorite childhood toy, eaten caviar, stood in Times Square, been fired from a job (does quitting because a colleague was fired count?), seen the Changing of the Guard in London, broken a few bones and teeth, been on a speeding motorcycle (what counts as "speeding"?), published a book, had my picture in the newspaper in every sense of the phrase (i.e. have also had photos I have taken published in the newspaper, including The New York Times once upon a time), read the entire Bible and Koran, visited the White House, had chickenpox, met someone famous (I was going to add "right after sleeping with his current flame ;-)" but thought the better of it), joined a book club, lost a few loved ones, been involved in a law suit (fought the proverbial city hall and "won"), owned a cell phone, been stung by a bee (well for sure by a wasp), read all three volumes of the Lord of the Rings, held a pet while he died.

Chalicechick said...

((Made love in a moving vehicle)))

Does a sailboat count?

CC

Joel Monka said...

Yes, if it's underway; no, if it's anchored.

Chalicechick said...

That's what I decided.

CC

Robin Edgar said...

Well wouldn't there be at least a little motion in the ocean even if it was anchored? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm playing, too, over at my popstand