Thursday, September 14, 2006

This I believe, part 1

Public radio has been reprising a program from the 1950s, “This I Believe”, in which people are invited to send in essays about what they believe. I have decided to post mine here from time to time- here is the first such entry.

I believe that President Bush is a decent, honorable man who believes that he is doing the right thing.

I believe that Al Quieda members were the only ones involved in the events of 9/11.

I believe that those white things following airplanes are ConTrails, not ChemTrails.

I believe that Apollo 11 went to the Moon and returned.

I believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone, and that all shots were fired by him.

I believe that the greatest threat to America is posed by the increasing cynicism, despair, and disengagement among the American people.

I believe that truth cannot be determined by a poll.

I believe that aside from literature, the arts went into decline with the first world war, and that since then the finest poetry is to be found amongst singer/songwriters, not poet laureates; the finest visual arts are found on album covers and posters, not in museums, and the finest of the plastic arts are found in industrial design and neighborhood craft fairs.

I believe that hunger and want can be ended within the lifetimes of some of the people readings these words if we have the will to do so.

No comments: