Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Art, science, and mythology meet

I've always been entranced by mythology. One of the first heavy books I tackled as a child was Bullfinch's- though I found it so dry I quickly turned to more sensationalist tellings. (which were, in many ways, truer to the spirit of the original, but that's another story) When I got access to the adult section of the local library, I discovered that other cultures than the Greeks and Romans had mythologies, too, and devoured them.

I don't remember whose books introduced me to Baba Yaga , but either the writing or just my own young imagination was good enough to evoke vivid visuals, especially of the old witch's home- an enchanted hut that could get up on chicken legs and walk away. So you can imagine what I felt when I saw this ...

No comments: